Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Private Spotlight

Do the bees like us looking into their personal lives?
Do they mind?
Everyday faces pass and they have to sit there
Going about their business
Nothing is private
If there was some secretiveness it's gone
Gone when those faces come up
Pressing their red noses on the glass
The privacy vanishes like the gust of wind when they walk through the door
Their lives spread out like honey on bread

If I were a bee in that display case
I'd hate it
I'd always want to hide from those runny noses on the glass
find an empty cell to get away from those faces
To think
To go to that happy place
To ponder my job in the hive
To release my anger at having to live my life like a show

Shows
Do some people like to live their lives as a performance?
Like being talked about all the time?
Like being watched all the time?
I wouldn't.
Living a performance is hard
It takes lots of thought
Lots of energy
I'd like to be behind the scenes
perhaps a performance or two
once in a while
be acknowledged
to feel like the eyes are on me for a second
make sure that I'm not fading away
But I'd never want to stay on the stage forever
oh no


Rather, I'd like to be able to step away from the madness
maybe by myself
maybe with the people who make me feel like I'm home
maybe with nature
maybe just me and my imagination
but always with the ability to fade back in
so I don't get lost



3 comments:

  1. Hey-- I really like this! Was this an assignment, or did you just think of it? (BTW, it needs a title!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just thought it up... I'll come up with one soonish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, too. I feel the same way.
    As an old English teacher, I want to correct a grammar error. After IF, use the subjunctive mood for the verb, e.g., "If there were some secretiveness, it's gone".
    I'm glad you write poetry.

    ReplyDelete