Thursday, October 4, 2012

10-4-2012 I miss the radio!

This morning when I woke up was one of the first days that it hasn't been absolutely gorgeous. It's truly fall. The leaves are blowing all over the place, the sky is a grey-ish blue, and I'm wearing a jacket. It's sad to see the beautiful colors fall from the trees, but there's no stopping it. Thinking with the glass half full, we now have  leaf piles to jump in!

This morning I threw for the first time in about 6 years. Turns out I had forgotten everything, but I really like the challenge. It definitely takes practice! I can center pretty well, but pulling the walls up is another story. Hopefully I can get my mug and center piece for my place setting thrown satisfactorily by Thanksgiving. The glazed pieces come out of the kiln tonight, and my favorite piece i in there. I'm scared to see whether the hairline cracks caused the piece to break. If it didn't my pushing my luck paid off, if not I still have my back up bowl.

I really like how here at conserve, all of the teachers and administrators can have really relaxed conversations with the students. They talk TO us not down to us. They tell us stories about their lives and what they have learned. We eat, laugh, and learn together.

Last night, as you all know was the presidential debate. It was refreshing to hear teenagers talking politics and how well they thought the candidates did. There was a water drinking game going on too though. There was an official sheet, and every time the candidates did certain things you had to drink a certain amount of water. I think that a lot of people were going to the bathroom last night. The debate was, in fact, optional is you didn't want/need to participate in study hours. 

In history Michael played us an NPR news report. Oh how I miss not waking up to NPR :( I miss radio in general, but mainly the news. The voices were really welcome and comforting, and since the report was about music it was even more welcome. I think that I shocked Michael by asking him what he thought the lifespan on the 8 tracks were. My whole class turned around and looked at me like I was a freak. Zeki and I were the only two people who owned record players. More looks... I, however am proud that I have an extensive music background! :) Thanks Mama and Mother!

I am currently in a musical war with Aaron. He is trying to come up with artists and music that I have never heard of before, but the trick is that if I come up with an artist he doesn't know, the point he got for tripping me up gets cancelled out. So far he is up by one. I have discovered the Piano Guys on Youtube because of him, and I now listen to them on Pandora! :D Check them out if you like the cello and lots of pianos!

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment