Sunday, October 7, 2012

10-6-2012 sing your heart out

Parent weekend was incredibly crazy! I spent all of Saturday over at the LRC working on the ricing project. Roger, the same guy who led rice camp which I also participated in came over to the school and taught the parents and students show to prepare the rice from the drying stage on. I was excited, because while I was at rice camp we mainly worked on making the tools to harvest the rice, and the skills involved in canoeing with the poles. At the LRC we mainly dried the rice over the fire in the wash tubs, danced on the rice to get the husks off, and winnowing (which I didn't do, due to the fact that I have pink eye and I can't touch my eye). I really enjoyed using moccasins to dance on the rice. They were handmade by Jean, the nurse here at Conserve. They were so nice and soft and comfortable. I really want to make a pair for myself now! Jean says that she is going to share the pattern with the people that were interest, and Roger might come back to Conserve to do a moccasin making workshop. Excited to say the least! We also ate some delicious wild rice bread with honey from the bees here at Conserve along with warm apple cider.

 Later that night was our awesome talent show filled with LED poi by Kai and Aaron and beautiful piano pieces by Jessie and Dexter! :D Both of the piano pieces were original and quite beautiful, despite the fact that the piano was out of tune. Kaia and Rachel performed "I Won't Give Up" on uke and cell together. Kaia on the uke. Also quite awesome since every time I hear that song I smile. I read the poem that showed up on my blog a while ago with Maeve and Mattie. We are now officially the 3M's! All the gradfellows know that when one of us shows up there is at least another M following. There was also a group performance of "Wagon Wheel" which was really fun to perform in. I have finally gotten over the fear of singing out loud, and obviously the fear of singing for people. Also if any of you readers know who was the original performers of the song please let me know. After the talent show Kai got his poi and the kerosene out. What an awesome performance! He even attempted the buzz saw. This move is incredibly dangerous because the fire is flying at your face (not that fire poi isn't dangerous though).

Later that night I migrated with Mattie, Ellie, Saige, Aaron, Maeve, Kaia, and Alex to Pine point on Big Hue (aka Big Donahue). We all just lay there under blankets and jackets and a piano cover and sang toall the songs that Aaron was playing, along with Saige improving a song about how much she loves to play Skyrim and how she grew up with no TV and how satisfying it is to kill the dragons in Skyrim. Needless to say the night was incredibly fun!

What a day! Read on for the 7th!

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds like so much fun! I hope you will remember to tell ms. Lee about the rice activities. I'll bet she'd be interested. Wonder if your sieve from the Rice Harvest dance would work for winnowing?

    ReplyDelete