Thursday, August 30, 2012

8-29-2012 new shtuffs going on here

Hey people! Yesterday was a great day. I had a lot of fun. It was a day of many firsts.

Yesterday I sat down for the first time and played maybe 10 games of chess all in a row. I haven't really ever played and was good, or serious about it. But I'm slowly making my way up the social chess ladder. At the moment here are the rankings. One being the highest obviously.

1. Stefan Anderson (head of school)
2. Dexter
2a. Kai
3. Shawn
5. Kaia
6. Me
7. Danielle
8. everyone else

You will notice there are two twos. This is because at the moment it's quite complicated about the whole winning thing. Dexter can beat Kai every time, and Kai can beat Stefan, but Dexter can't beat Stefan. It's confusing I know, but I really want to get good at chess by the time I leave here. To make tings more confusing I learned ow to play bughouse, which a form of chess where you use 2 boards!

Yesterday was also the first day of "Stewardship in Action" and "Careers and Colleges". Both are actual classes. In careers and colleges was basically got to figure out the Student Intranet. That's right with an "a". it's this private system they have going on here. I will be writing an E-portfolio for this class.

Stewardship in action was really fun. I signed up for border post installation. Basically I got to bang giant pols into the ground that defined the border of Michigan and Wisconsin. Also known as the Sylvania wilderness border. I felt super proud :D I did it with Maeve, Nate, Zeki, Ian, Andy (the student not the teacher), Justin, and Dylan the gradfellow. we got to hike around a lot trying to find the border.

I forgot to mention that the lists for the Exploration Week went up. I am going backpacking in the Porkies! So excited. It's going to be a great group. the students are: Me, Shawn, Brooke, Zeki, Carolyn, Colin, and a few other people. Gradfellows: Rebecca (who knows plants and lived in GA for a while), Dylan (who did border posts, and Rob who led the canoe trip I mentioned a little while ago. And today i'm learning backpacking skills with them today and field instruction!

I've been having so much fun despite the fact that I'm covered in bruises, scratches, and bug bites. So far I'm having the time of my life! :D

Sidenote. W ehave some extremely talented people here, but we also have some serious Doctor Who nerds. Among them being Kaia (who just bought a ton of stuff related to Doc. Who stuff on Amazon), Maeve, and Shawn. I had quite the conversation about Schrodinger's Cat and dark matter yesterday.

Pictures in a few minutes.
 

1 comment:

  1. No tick bites, though -- right? ;-)

    I'm so glad you guys are going backpacking in Porcupine Mountain State Park. It will be incredibly beautiful by mid-September! And besides, since I got to go there myself, I'll be able to picture you there all that week.

    Hugs,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete