Monday, August 27, 2012

8-27-2012 the bestest canoe trip so far

Hey everyone! Sorry that I'm starting to fall behind. I've been SO busy. No joke! There are so many cool opportunities. Yesterday I had an incredibly memorable day!

I went into the Sylvania Wilderness. It was the most stunning thing I've seen so far. Thank goodness Ellie and Rob (the gradfellow leading the trip) were taking tons of pictures. Ellie graciously let me download all of here photos so there should be some coming soonish. :) I heard the sounds of a loon for the first time. It's so calm and what can I say.. AWESOME! There are a few pictures of it, but it dove underwater, and Aaron says that they can stay under for something like 20 minutes. I did a little research and it's not quite that long, but i still find it impressive. the canoeing trip (which involved a total of 4 portages) reminded me just how much I dislike portaging. It's just plain and simple, uncomfortable. Speaking of portaging, on the second portage with Ellie, we suddenly heard this horrible cracking and then a HUGE crash! A massive tree had fallen less than 100 feet away from us, thankfully not on the path. There were no injuries, but the rest of the group was under the impression that we had dropped the canoe and someone was injured!

For all of those who are thinking of that say: "If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one there, does it make a sound?" Well I'm here to say that it does.. quite a loud sound in fact. :D

We got to swim around and jump off this log in the middle of Moon lake. It was so much fun, despite the fact that it took about 15 minutes for Ellie to maneuver her canoes back to the log. All in all it was incredibly fun!

Last night consisted of chores, studying and calling family! :) Dinner is starting soon. Pictures. I promise are coming when I have time. PEACE!

1 comment: