Saturday, December 29, 2012

12-29-12 One step at a time

When I returned home I wanted to relax some. I wanted to take time and take more pictures, go for more walks, and mainly get outside more. While at Conserve I gained the confidence to sing at first just on front Mattie and Maeve and then eventually in front of the whole school. By the end of the year I performed "Man Of Constant Sorrow" by the Soggy Bottom Boys from Oh Brother Where Art Thou in front of all the students and their families. Before I had never had the confidence or the desire to sing, but sitting on the swings with Mattie and singing our hearts out made me feel freer than I have felt in my entire life. It was amazing. Now I miss more than ever sitting with Mattie and belting out what ever song that we are thinking of. I talked with her last night and it's those simple moments like the swings or lying in bed in the dark silence that I miss the most.

Today I spent my entire day almost completely sedentary, but completely productive. Ever since I heard about them at school I have wanted to apply. My terrific friend Ellie, recommended NOAA's Ocean For Life program which brings students from the Middle East and the USA together because they have the same dream of conserving the natural world and raising awareness. SCA is the Student Conservation Association where you go and work in a national park while backcountry camping. The applications were a long and arduous process, but they have been completed. All there is left to do is submit them and wait. I am so excited about the prospect of this summer!

The summer is looking promising, but the prospect of college applications is even more daunting. If this is what a summer program is lord knows what's waiting for me, but I have to toil through it if I want to go to Warren Wilson which is currently my dream for the future, but for now it's one step at a time. Tomorrow I am waking up at 6:00 am to participate in a Audubon Christmas bird count for the entire day! Let's get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment