Sunday, December 9, 2012

12-8-12 SKIING!

Let me start by saying my history teacher, Michael Salat is awesome! What did he do? He planned a ski trip to Indianhead ski lodge in Ironwood, Wisconsin for an entire day! We were supposed to go last week but the weather got REALLY warm and all the snow melted away. This weekend it was definitely colder, but the slopes were still made of mostly fake snow. It was funny to see slightly brown snow. Michael reminded me that the water they are pumping is iron rich and that's why it's they weird color it is.

Our day began at 7:45am when we left on Saturday for the hour long trip up there. We had Michael, Joey(his son), Carolee (his wife), Ian, George, Kevin, Chase, Nate, Russ, Colin, Brian, Walton, Chris, Aaron, Dexter, Maeve, Mattie, Ellie, and me. The ride up was rather silent but charged with excitement. This was Chris and Walton's first time skiing and Mattie and Aaron, living in the south like I do felt it was a treat. This was the second time that I had ever been skiing. The first time I had never really been taught all of the things correctly and went straight down the hill. Let me insert here that ski boots are horribly painful to walk in. They are stiff and they make you lean forward. Also ski helmets are essential!

On the first run down I realized I had totally forgotten everything! So poor Michael spent a good while trying to teach me how to ski on the way down the hill so I wouldn't kill myself. Ian also pitched in some good advice. By the time I got to the bottom things were looking up. I also had a problem of my feet falling asleep, but it turned out that I was cutting off my circulation with my layers of different pants! Let me tell you it's hard to ski when you can't feel one foot!

I proceeded to the bunny hill to practice some and then went right on down. Over the course of the day I got better. I can say that I went down 3 times without falling once. According to the strangers that would ski over to me when I wiped out. I had some pretty spectacular falls. They always asked if I was okay, did I need help getting up, and was anything broke. In retrospect, when I fell, I'd just lay there for a moment and stare at the sky. This was probably why some people thought that I had killed myself. I personally didn't mind falling. 

At one point in the day I was standing around with a few people and Ian was telling me a story about Walton. Apparently he went over to the other bunny hill. This hill had a t-bar lift. That looked a bit like this:

Notice how the people are leaning BACK. well apparently Walton decided to sit on the disk and he got dragged half way up the hill by his crotch. But then again I can't laugh because I basically got flipped onto my back when the machine jerked to pull me up. And then at the top I wiped out when I let go of the bar. The poor guy who are operating the lift was so nice and picked me up and got me dusted off.

Overall I had so much fun despite how sore I am right now! You don't realize you have certain muscles until a couple of days later! If I lived in a colder region the I would definitely want to get into skiing. This adds to the list of reasons that I wish that I lived further north!




No comments:

Post a Comment