Saturday, December 22, 2012

12-22-12 lots and lots to say

I would like to start off my saying, I'm sorry to all of you guys who were hyped about the world ending... We're still here! Though I'm not sure how much more melting this planet can take. It's time to make a move people! Sitting around and chatting has obviously done nothing for us! Anyways enough of environmental ranting because I could probably go on for hours.

Today I baked tons of cookies with my sister and our godmother. Yeah, I'm not bound to a certain religion, but I have a godmother and I have to say its great. I have tons of moms! I had so much fun cooking and eating disgusting amounts of cookie dough. I think it finally reminded me that Christmas IS right around the corner. No more putting it off. I still have some gifts to make, but it's not an obligation so I hear, but I am having a ton of fun making them and can't wait to sent them to their receivers.

Yesterday featured a very interesting evening. My family, knowing that I want to be outside more etc decided that we should go on a night hike at Arabia Mountain. I was looking forward too it, but after hiking on a path that wasn't bringing us up a mountain I got rather discouraged. We finally reached a field and we knew we had gone the wrong way. Adventure time! We hung around in the open area looking at the rather bright dark sky. Mother promptly got a phone call and began to chat. Then a helicopter and I can't tell you how many airplanes went over. I suddenly broke down. Being outside in that very spot, lying on my back brought back so many memories and the outdoors was suddenly a painful reminder of all that I missed. The long nights with Mattie and Dexter on the sledding hill often joined by other people. The truly dark sky that was black and not just a pale blue. The stars that didn't move, but were actually planets and not the roaring engines of Delta. The wind that was cold as opposed to a wind that cooled my overheating body off. I broke down and couldn't stop the tears. It was such a horrible painful reminder of what once was, but hopefully will be in the very near future. All I could do was clap my hands over my ears and let my crying drown out all the other noise. Not a good way to calm yourself. I don't recommend it.

The rest of the evening was nice in case you wanted to know. I met a guy who incidentally knew Mr. Al Tate, the man who started my whole Conserve School experience when he wrote my recommendation letter. I owe you a lot, and if you are reading this right now, email me so we can go have coffee and I can tell you about my life changing adventure. I found out about a terrific thing that is called Concrete Jungle. It's a bunch of people who forage the lost fruits that fall on the ground all over the city and donate them to homeless shelter. I will hopefully be getting involved with that. I'm excited to go scoping out fruit trees at night, and it turns out that Mr. Tat's son is a co-founder of the organization.

I must say that the silence is definitely not for everyone. It's definitely for me. I'm sure of it now. I was talking to my godmother Susie and she was telling me how she had spent 3 days in the North Georgia mountains by herself and had almost gone crazy. She said she had to go back to the city. I spent my solos completely silent and could have happily been alone for much longer. I think that some people were made for the city. I used to never notice the noise, or rather not mind the noise. Now it seems like a constant soundtrack of screams in my ear. It could be because i'm new to the city now, but I also think I'm more of a rural person.

Off to ponder ways to reach silence while  constructing Christmas presents....

No comments:

Post a Comment