Wednesday, December 5, 2012

12-5-12 Oh no!


So I keep hearing whispers and lamenting about the end of the semester. Our homework pile was slightly decreased for English, I have a phenology map to paint, I have 75 pages of Endurance, not to mention a story about my phenology site that is at minimum 900 words. I am currently looking into applying for NOAA's Ocean For Life program and SCA (Student Conservation Association). 

Ocean For Life is: "Ocean for Life fosters cultural understanding through the study of the ocean ecosystem. All life in the ocean is connected and in the same way our human cultures are all connected. Diversity is a strength in the ocean world. So too in ours. The goal of Ocean for Life is to bring better understanding of the diverse marine world and of the diverse peoples of the world. Our lives depend on close connections to the ocean -- and on the close connections that link us all." 

In additional the above quote from the website says it brings kids from the USA together with kids form the Middle East. The program focuses a lot on the science part, but you also get to go to a National Geographic photography class! My good friend and fellow Badger Ellie Burke is on the front of the website. She's the blonde with the yellow shirt on! She has done the program and says that it its absolutely amazing!

SCA is basically where you go out to national parks all over the country and work on back-country trail building/restoration for a month. Luke, another one of my very lose friends here did the National Crew which is what I want to do. He said it was a life changing experience for him despite the grueling work. He says that I would really like it and I should apply!


Good news guys! Both of these programs are free. SCA requires a $25 app and a plane ticket, but everything else is taken care of. If you get into Ocean for life all expenses are paid!




No comments:

Post a Comment