Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12-11-12 Jeff's Poetry Reading

Jeff held a poetry/story reading session at his house today. I heard a lot of goo readings some of which I may post on the blog later. Julia read an excerpt from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Saige read a chapter from a book by Barry Lopez. Maia read some pieces by Janice Mirkitani. And Ana and Zeki did some excellent spoken word! I read a poem about the SAT and one about the ghetto. I got really good response for the one about the ghetto o here it is. When I read it I couldn't read 3 of my lines so I improv'd.

I'm tired of the competing
Don't compete
Don't compare their home
To your home
You your other home
"Oh my school's so ghetto"
"My neighborhood is a ghetto"
"Those people are sketchy"
Why is it a competition?
Ghetto wasn't cool in World War 2
It certainly isn't now 
Why do you need to identify with it?
ghetto is rough
it makes me sad
families who have been ripped apart
not enough food
not enough money
no jobs
kids who work to support
their kid sisters and brothers
graffiti looks cool
I think so
but its an outlet for pain sometimes
running from the screaming noise
from the flashing lights
from the bright blue and red
running away 
running for a dark shadow to hide in
they are trying to make their mark
at night in the streets and alleys
the dark turns into a haven
but a cover up
for the dead body that I left before I came here
that was right around the corner from my house
for abduction and rape
for guns and gangs
under the table drugs
 schemes
so don't try and be cool by saying you're ghetto
from the ghetto
it ain't cool...

1 comment: