Monday, November 12, 2012

Huzzah!! 11-12-12

Today has been a good day. It snowed all day! I am wearing a wonderful flannel shirt purchased by Garrett for me at Goodwill (the best place to get comfy clothes). Ceramics was quite productive even though I now realize just how many more boxes I am going to have to ship home! During science with Andy we spent the entire class period outside doing stand removal, basically cutting trees down. That's right I attend a tree hugging school and spent the afternoon killing trees (specifically the balsam firs which prevent old growth hardwoods from thriving).

From science my cohort moved on to field instruction which was taught by Julia the gradfellow. I love all the gradfellows, but I especially love when she teaches because while the class is very informative, it's laid back and not stressful. Julia has created this really cool website/videos with her friend Jessica where they talk about "cool things in nature" which happens to be the name of their program. I highly recommend checking out their website at: http://www.coolthingsinnature.com/. Some of the videos are really funny and completely crazy while some are quite educational. Julia's program is to get people excited to go out into nature. Our assignment was to make a video like her's with the prompt: "if you could make a video to change the world what would you say?" My group which is made up of Ian, Genna, Justin, Zeki, Ana, and I decided that the first step to change in the world is appreciation. We are creating a silly/serious video pointing out some of the things that you can do to appreciate/enjoy nature. I'm really excited. We already have some of the video films kudos my camera! Yay!

Well as it turns out, despite fruitless attempts, that Maeve, Mattie, and I will not be developing film negatives here. We had gotten really excited since Robert (science teacher) had tested all the chemicals and said they worked. When we showed up at the old darkroom he greeted us with bad news. Since we have a special sewer system here, we need a specific filter for the chemicals. We had one, but it was so old that it needed to be replaced and that costs about $50. Ahh well. Maeve's going to get them printed and developed when she goes home for Thanksgiving.

After school, Mattie, Maeve, Dexter and I hung out at the sledding hill to roll down it. What a way to spend an afternoon! Full of laughter, chills, stories about how important orchestra conductors are, snow down our jackets, and frozen fingers and toes. :D My kind of afternoon!

On to dinner which was a cheesy, vegggie, panini fanfare. Quite greasy and so much food. I think that the amounts of food have gone WAY up since we got the new director. I personally think that we are wasting an unnecessary pile of food every meal. After dinner I decided to check my mail, and low and behold I had gotten a package form home. I had forgotten that I had requested peppermint tea, my red warm up pants from swimming, letter writing material, and pens! What a nice surprise! And guess what else was in there!? Peanut butter Oreos and a lovely class picture of Yi-Shan! It made my day THAT much better! :)

The community meeting was held outside in the dark and in the snow. I personally think that our community meetings should be used to do something productive as a community. While hearing everyone's highlight of the week can be amusing it's not too productive. We played some games at the beginning of the year which was fun, but perhaps we could have discussions or work on a project?

I am currently sitting in my room snuggled in the hat Aaron gave me, the flannel Garrett got fro me, drinking hot peppermint tea, snacking on some peanut butter Oreos, listening to Billy Joel pandora radio (which plays A TON of my favorite songs![currently listening to Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel]), and trying to get myself to stop writing so I can work on Michael's history assignment. I guess I should write later....

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment