Wednesday, November 7, 2012

11-7-12 jitters and happiness

Today was the big presentation about William Henry Jackson for me. I got really stressed about talking in front of Jeff and Michael today. I usually am never as nervous, but for some reason, perhaps because I wasn't able to stand, perhaps because I was worried about the questions I was going to asked, I got really jittery. I only stumbled a little. I found that I tended to add imaginary words rather than mispronounce or skip words. The one question that Gwen and I got asked I hadn't studied for. Gwen realized that after the fact that she had known the answer. Ahh well. When asked what part of Sylvania Teahelahn thought would be the most valuable to preserve and why. Her answer was "the ground... umm dirt." We got quite the laughs. :D Ahh well, what can you do. I had fun taking the pictures and writing the paragraphs. We stumbled a bit, but overall I think that the fact that I learned something and enjoyed its all that matter.. not so much the grade. Same with my Into the Wild paper. I didn't do as well as I wanted, but I really liked learning about song analysis and I loved listening to Eddie Vedder (especially for a school project!). I mean who doesn't!?

I'm not sure whether I explained this, but here's a refresher in case you forgot. Stewardship in Action is 2 hours of community service to the school that we do every Wednesday as kind of a "thank you for letting us go to this school for free" kind of thing. Anyways, there's this job that is deer exclusion, which is a scientific experiment to basically study how deer population has an effect on the forests. The first time it was offered the sign -up sheet said "deer extrusion" vs "deer exclusion." Ever since it's bee "extrusion" for Maeve, Luke, Aaron, Mattie, and I.

I have taken to carrying this orange journal they handed out to us at the beginning of the year and writing A LOT. I almost never use journals, but I have a feeling that I will be using lots of my empty journals when I get home! Thanks to the cousins for sending the spare journal! :D

I got a major compliment today. I have discovered that I have a hard time accepting personal compliments. Zeki was telling me about my writing and how he doesn't know how I do it but *punches heart with fist and closes his eyes with a smile*. I'm not being dramatic. That's what he did. I can't put into words, but I'm incredibly flattered. :) Thanks Zeki!

Harvest Festival is coming up. It's next Wednesday. It's a day with no regular classes and lots of mini classes about sustainability etc. Genna's dad is actually coming up to talk to us about organic farming and crop rotation etc. One of the things that is being done at night is a folk dance class/session. Not sure whether the whole school is required  but I'm excited. There's a massive dance floor in the LAB now. I have discovered a fellow swing dance partner in Dexter and am really excited. Just today I went form being absolutely terrified of leaving the ground to learning swing dance (specifically Lindy hop) lifts. So happy. I also shared a bit of Chinese dance knowledge. That's for you Ms. Lee! :)

The value of the week has been love. It's quite sappy and all, but its quite a good virtue I must admit. We have all gotten so much closer. The people who I normally sit with at dinner have taken to regularly taking food off of each others plats and over all eating and drinking after each other. Don't ask me how, but somehow I ended up eating spinach and mushroom lasagna off of the same plate with Zeki and Aaron. Needless to the say it was messy. Perhaps a little too close you say? I say.. NEVER!

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment