Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wheels turnin'... keep on burning 1-22-13

It's been a crazy ride full of mechanical wheels, constant loud noises, and lots and lots of sawdust. For some reason I have been able to put everything, meaning the noise, into a little corner of my brain, and I haven't been too upset by it. I think it's because I know I can walk out of the building any time that I want. But the people I am with make me so happy it's hard to leave every night, even though I know I'll be spending the never evening and the next one with them too. Among my team members are Jasmine an Tymirra who are the two newest girl additions to the team! Even though I love all the members of my team to death it was time to get some girls on the team. Recent guy additions would be Jay, Myles, Collin, and Josh (yes another one). Of the mentor we have good old Corey who is currently incredibly stressed out yet makes everything sound like he's the most relaxed person you've ever met, Ben who as always keeps the humor alive in the room, Alex our programmer who is always on the computer and lastly Casey who is a freshman at Ga Tech and is well let's face it an incredibly awesome geeky nerd. We have currently been having some internal issues with agreeing on designs, leadership, and authority in general but through some talking, a games of pingpong, and stories of failed adventures brought us closer.

 I don't know where we'd be without the mentors. I wouldn't have been able to sit for 1 straight hour fixing a bunch of mistakes and errors in one of the models that we made had it not been for Casey's humor, his bad song references, and overall geekiness in general the hour might not have been quite as fun and productive as it was. If someone doesn't finish a phrase Casey will, without fail, start singing a song that has the begun phrase in it.

I knew Collin and Myles before they arrived on the team. They are both homeschooled and used to/still go to LEAD (Learners and educators of Atlanta and Decatur [it's a homeschool group/co-op thingy]). I remember Myles as the weird kid that always wore his pajamas to class and had an amazing amount of curly blonde hair. We were talking today and he said, and I quote, " God what I have now was a 1/4th of what I had. I swear I had things living in it back then!" Now Myles likes to frequent hackaday.com, likes the smell of certain plastics when they are cut, is quite the skilled electrician, and is a computer hack builder.

 Collin, unbeknownst to me is a backpacking enthusiast. He is full of crazy stories of failed camping trips, kayaking disasters, Leave No Trace failures, and karma biting you in the butt. He's a machine when it comes to building. I swear they guy can crank anything out in record timing. I find that I have more in common with him than I ever though. Collin was always the kid at lead with the hair as long as the girls and who was kind of quiet and melted into the background.

 Had you asked me years ago when I saw these people, but didn't really talk to them. If you were to ask me whether I saw them as my friends in the future I would have answered with a resounding no. But now I kind of wish that I had become friends with them before. They are really fantastic people who make me smile everyday I see them. Needless to say I am having a blast despite my ridiculous schedule. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment