Saturday, January 12, 2013

The gift of old 1-12-13

The majority of society has been swept up into the bright and shining flood of new technology. It seems however that I have been dawn back in time. I've always had a different generation's music taste, but I have recently been sent back in time for letters by post and film cameras. I think Maeve has greatly influenced my liking both of these things. There's a certain sense of excitement when you open your mailbox or sort though a pile of adds and see a letter from a friend that lives hundreds of miles away from you. Yes the words of the sender can be delayed, but it's still fun. The letters come in all difference shapes and sizes and the envelopes have a certain special-ness to them too. I have a box that I am keeping all of the letters I receive so that I can maybe, years later, read them and laugh about what I was writing about "back in the day." As for photography, I guess it all started when Maeve got her Diana F+. There's something incredibly satisfying about hearing the sharp click of the shutter. It's nice to have to wait for the picture result ans not have instant gratification. I think that society doesn't have patience anymore. It's all faster data speeds, better shipping time, faster, faster and now now NOW! Chill out people! It'll happen when it happens. Isn't enough that you are carrying a worldwide data base, phone, and entertainment system the size and sometimes weight of a chunk of chocolate in your hand without any cords?? Of course it's not. there's always something just around the corner. Another generation. Anyways back to what I was saying. Film cameras. I have two Minoltas as I probably mentioned before and I just used up an entire disposable camera. The catch is that the disposable had a corroded battery that had leaked and was 7 years expired and the cost to develop is about $10.99! What is the world coming to? The other reason I's more interested in film is because Maeve gave me a book of toy cameras full of awesome pictures. I'm incredibly inspired to go take pictures that I have no control over and see what happens! And no I'm not being sarcastic. Time to get some shots.

So you people out there always looking for the newest new... maybe you should try making the old a new thing! Aint nothing wrong with something that has a little age to it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment