Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yates 3-6-13

Whew! I'm back. I've had quite the adventures in a bit over a week! I actually had to check what I had last said which is saying something. Anyways... After she came and stayed with me for about 3 days we headed off to the Yates' residence, where, at midnight I was greeted by some of the friendliest wet noses and a long awaited and much needed hug from Aaron. It couldn't have been a better way to end last Sunday. I spent a good week at their house and stayed quite busy. They live on a really nice area of land that features some paths that have been developed by the family. Their grandma, Barbra, the one who I met over Thanksgiving in Land O' Lakes also lives with them.

While I was there, we went on a few walks with the dogs on the trails which was really nice. One of the many many things that I like about being at the Yates was that you didn't have to wear shoes. In Atlanta I can choose not to wear shoes but I risk being shipped off to the doctors for a tetanus shot because of some nasty piece of rusting metal or sewage encrusted glass.No shoes and with he mud between the toes. The trees creaking and groaning at the sun slipped below the mountains.

 The Yates have lots and lots of dogs. Hershey, Tippy, Chester, Tilda, Bonnie, Nellie, Mickey, and Kitty (the cat). The last four that I listed live at their grandma's house, but all of the dogs roam free during the day and go back and forth. I wish I was one of the dogs. They live such a carefree life with no stress at all. In addition to lounging about the house reading and relaxing, Aaron made some really good baked beans entitled Beery Beer Baked Beans. Tongue twister aint it? They are very good and we ate them a lot while I was there! It was great because I happen to really like beans and rice. Ann and Mattie made bread two separate days too. One batch took no time at all and the second took almost all day. The loaves came out of the dutch ovens at about 11:30pm! It was totally worth it though. Homemade bread is far superior to that of the uniform bricks that come from the store.

Some time later on in the week Aaron, Mattie and I did some fire poi and Aaron did the fire staff. The weight of the poi was way different. They were made out of a welding blanket folded together and bolted. The poi ball was then connected to chains with two finger loops. The poi were then drenched in kerosene and lit on fire. Much, much heavier than the LED plastic balls that I own. I finally got it the last night I was there. It was a completely different feeling but at the same time a nice steady rhythm.

A day at a field, arg, the name escapes me currently, I felt much more confident using the new poi. We had initially ended up in the field because we were meeting up with the Hewletts. Some of the Yates' friends from South Carolina. Asa is actually at Conserve School right now! We spent one of our evening chatting with him on the phone for a good 2.5 hours! Ruth, his younger sister came and spent the night with us. Colleen, their mom taught us needle felting. Something that my mom's preschool does a lot but I've never tired. Using my novice skills I was able to create a turtle, an egg, and a creature that Aaron named Trevor the Traveling Toad. Pictures to come hopefully! The night that Ruth was at the house we did some pretty awesome light painting.

On Saturday, we all went to the the Tryon Theater to see "9 to 5". I really like what they did. There were a couple of parts where I had no idea what was going on despite having seen the movie not too too long ago. Kell was the main lights guy in the booth and Aaron was on spotlight. Mattie didn't have a job this show. They all love to do what they do, but gripe about having to see the show over and over, but you could see it made them happy. It made me want to try it. All the theaters in Atlanta are so high and mighty and professional and intimidating.

My week was crazy and so full life. I find myself slipping and unable to hold on to my sanity. What a breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment