Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I did it! 10-16-13

So I officially have neglected this blog for way too long and I sure as heck do not want to start a tumblr. I know Maeve and Ellie and Zeki, it's cool and stuff, but I just can't bring myself to join the world of fandom and GIFS and "shipping" of fictional character relationships. It's, well I just don't want to. But you see, the reason that I haven't been on is because COLLEGE APPLICATIONS! But, in theory I should have a bit more time now because guess what? THEY ARE ALL SUBMITTED. Okay, I'm done with caps lock. I know how annoying it can be after a while. I just finished geography which involved me reading a forum about nuclear weapons. The comments were, errrr, very emphatic or angry. But back to what I was saying, I did it! I lived! I got 9. Count them 9 college applications sent it. The next question on your mind might be: What colleges? Well they are all tiny and you may or may not have heard of them:


  1. College of the Atlantic*
  2. New College of Florida*
  3. Eckerd College*
  4. Beloit College
  5. Stetson University
  6. Juniata College
  7. Allegheny College
  8. Hendrix College 
  9. Northland College*
Those would be the colleges of choice in no particular order. I might have mentioned a while ago that I was part of College of the Atlantic's Presidential Scholars Fall Fly-In. Let me tell you Bar Harbor, Maine was gorgeous and from what I hear from my host Julie, Acadia is beautiful. I was rather ticked off that the park was closed. I am really nervous now to hear back from them, and I know I won't hear back until after my ACT test which is the 26th of this month (October in case you were unaware). Despite the nervousness there is a tremendous weight lifted off of my shoulders. Despite the fact that I know that I'll get in somewhere I am still worried. You constantly have that looming voice of, "College is where your future starts" in your head. I know this is not true though. 

You don't need college to be a successful person. look at Steve Jobs, (apart form his untimely death)! He became a billionaire and he didn't even have a college degree. I would never want to be that rich and have to deal with being a technology superstar. Instead, I want to do something that I love while perhaps making a difference for other animals, plants, or people (or maybe all of the above).

I want to live on an energy efficient boat designed by my GaTech friends with Mattie and Maeve. I want to see the world and try weird foods. I want to SCUBA dive to the deep reaches of the ocean and go skydiving. I want to so roll in a mud hole or go to Edisto Beach with Casey. I want to hike the Appalachian Trail with Aaron and Luke. I want to go to college. I want to do all of these things and much much more. 

And the best part is. I don't need college to tell me that I can do all these things, except for maybe the last one. College is just another thing on the list of things that I want to do. I'm not going because I think that my life will not be successful if I don't go. I want to go because I want to learn as much as I can in a crazy environment where the masters of the field teach. I feel sorry for the people who only see one path for their life. The people who can only see to the end of their PhD career. Who only see the straight and narrow track. You have to live a little! Get out there and feel it, taste it, try it, see it, and get into a bit of trouble. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment