Wednesday, October 16, 2013

8 is a Magic Number 10-16-13

So you know how when you set out to write something. An essay that is. And you have a question that is super super broad? And you think to yourself: "Jeez! How am I supposed to say everything that I want to about myself that answers this question, and all in 650 words!?" Well guess what? You have just experienced the Common Application Essay my friend. Here is what got sent. Take a peak and maybe you'll get to know me a little better too!

Me: “Hi! I’m Mei-Jing!”
You: “I’m sorry, can you say that again?”
Me: “It’s like Beijing with a ‘m’.”


So how did I end up with a Chinese name when I was raised in America? The answer is this: when my parents started my adoption and naming process they wanted me to stay connected to my cultural roots, but also wanted my name to reflect their values. The intended meaning of my name was “beautiful essence” and for years my parents have reminded me that it’s what’s on the inside and not the outside that matters. But there was a mix up and my Chinese characters, instead, translate as “lush green grass”! You might laugh now but wait until I explain. In farming villages, which is where I assume I was born, lush green grass is culturally a good omen and a symbol of prosperity. Today, all you can see on the outside of me is an Asian girl who likes math, gets good grades, and enjoys building robots. Which is correct, but it’s not the complete picture. I’m not fluent in Chinese, I have two Caucasian moms, and I’m homeschooled. All of these things become evident after a few minutes of talking to me, but my true essence is hidden deeper still.

When people meet me they have to look beneath the surface to really get to know me. Not only do I not fit many of the Asian stereotypes, but I don’t fit the mold of the typical American teen either. Same for the typical geek. I don’t like shopping or pop music, I’ve never been to prom, and I love bushwhacking my way through the woods looking for edible plants. I often notice people making incorrect assumptions about me and this observation has encouraged me to be more receptive and to look below the surface of others to get to know them on a deeper level. If I am a combination of often contradictory traits, I figure others probably are, too.  

When I meet someone new, I try to look past race, class, reputation, and what someone looks like or what they are wearing. Instead, I try to find out the raw essence of who a person is. I want to know what makes them wake up in the morning and what passions drive them. Too many times we avoid certain people because we have misconceptions about them. I often wonder if nature lovers look at me differently when I say that I like the environment and that I like to build robots, too. It is easy to talk about accepting differences but not so easy to put this into practice.

Some of my closest friends are polar opposites of me. While I was at Conserve School last fall I met Zeki, a practicing Muslim whose religious laws don’t allow him to touch girls – not even a handshake – and Dexter, a devout Mormon and the eldest of 13 children. Had I been close-minded and immediately dismissed these people because of my erroneous assumptions about them, I wouldn’t have these special people in my life today. It is, in fact, this tendency to be open and receptive to others that I believe is my true essence.

So perhaps the mistake in my Chinese characters was not a mistake at all. I think that this positive mindset directly relates to the “lush green grass” meaning. Imagine a giant field ready for planting in a rural Chinese village. A field is a place for seeds to sprout and lush green crops to take root. I am like this field: open to new people, new ideas, and new points of view. I am Mei-Jing Bernard. One foot in Atlanta, Georgia, and the other in a field in Maoming, China. I am lush green grass. I am beautiful essence.

Why the title you ask? Because I went through a gazillion copies of this. There were so many different permutations of this essay it would take me hours to read through them, but this was what came from the last Word document that I edited. "Me Copy #8" I am Chinese through and through with 8 as my magic number and not 3. My appologies School House Rock and Buffalo Springfield. 


No comments:

Post a Comment